baslinux - [BL] cannot execute any new files installed

  • From: "Andre Smit" <andre AT osi.co.za>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] cannot execute any new files installed
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 19:02:17 -0000

Hallo all

I am an experienced linux user (since 1992), but this time I am really dumb.

I have been using Slackware, Redhat and SUSE for years in different locations.

I wanted to use an old Pentium I again and liked the idea of BL3, can install add packages from slackware etc.

I booted with loadlin, using fs.img as root fs. Than I created an ext2 fs, copied the lot there and now still boot from a small dos partition with loadlin & a 2.6.0 kernel that I compiled on a RedHat box.

Everything is fine EXCEPT, if I copy and executable from a cd onto the hdd I cannot execute it, I also cannot run it from a FD or directly from the cd. I wanted to put utelnetd (prety cool tool) on the BL3 installation. If I say /bin/utelnetd it replies “–sh /bin/utelnetd not found”.

I then installed the tcpip1.tgz package (from slackware 7.1) tried to execute /usr/sbin/in.telnetd and get the same error, not found!

This package install also replaced hostname and a few other executables, they all now give not found errors from the /etc/rc script.

I checked all the permissions etc, No fun, please help.

By the way I copied everything to a new ext2 disk (the root fs) by hand and then changed boot.bat to use it. Is there an automated way to install BL3 to a partition.

Thanks

Andre Smit

  • [BL] cannot execute any new files installed, Andre Smit, 07/11/2004