baslinux - Re: [BL] Another Linux Distrbution needed&In-Reply-To=BAY17-F43zFr9nwd96o000059a7@h

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Another Linux Distrbution needed&In-Reply-To=BAY17-F43zFr9nwd96o000059a7@h
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 06:45:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, Denton He wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Steven,
>
> from what I gather both BL1 and BL3 would be sufficient for my needs so
> which one do you suggest?
>
> I understand BL3 will be most up to date, but what you side about 'mc' to
> access Network Drives and replacing the bare.i kernel seems a bit
> challenging.

The business about replacing the kernel was only if you wanted to use NFS.
Would it work to use BL1 but replace the kernel with the BL3 kernel,
Steven? I know of only one advantage of BL1 over BL3 (other than not
needing to delete the X directories) and that is FTP comes with BL1 but I
think Steven has posted it as an add-on for BL3.

> But can BL1 guarantee ease of use? All i want to do with GCC is to compile
> some simple programs in the vicinity of helloworld.c. So I think my RAM
> should be okay.

I was able to easily install BL1 to hard drive, add the few packages
needed to compile, and compile a complex program with simple instructions
(Kermit) using BL1. I am a beginner and don't know how to write programs.
I have not tried installing BL3 to hard drive yet but it is probably even
easier to do. BL1 requires downloading an extra hard drive package that
Steven put together, that is about 800K if I recall correctly. You can
get the compiler files from Slackware 3.2 (which I had) or other 3 or 4
version of Slackware on CD or via download. I like ftp.planetmirror.com
for older Slackware versions.

I was able to delete part of the compiler files from SW81 (for hardware
other than i386) - anything in directories asm-sparc or asm-mips or
asm-ppc asm-anything other than i386 or general. I don't know if SW3
contains this sort of stuff (in /usr/src/linux or some similarly named
directory) but it saved me about 5MB in BL2. (I had upgraded from the
SW71 library). The SW3 compiler files are much much smaller, only about
15MB total I think. You could also try deleting the documentation for the
compiler files to save space (or copying them first to some other
computer). You can delete anything in 'locale' directories if you plan to
just work in English. It will be a pretty close fit otherwise - 8 MB swap
space, maybe 3M DOS partition if you boot from that (can one boot BL3
using a DOS boot disk somehow with the kernel on it?), 15 MB compiler
files, leaves about 14MB for BL1 or BL3. Does BL3 install itself to 15MB
of hard drive or can you make a smaller linux partition for it? Does
linux need some free disk space to work in?

Steven, please correct my numbers. And maybe explain how the BL3 to hard
drive process works.