baslinux - Re: [BL] Another Linux Distrbution needed&In-Reply-To=BAY17-F43zFr9nwd96o000059a7@h

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Another Linux Distrbution needed&In-Reply-To=BAY17-F43zFr9nwd96o000059a7@h
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:44:04 +1200

Denton He wrote:

> from what I gather both BL1 and BL3 would be sufficient
> for my needs so which one do you suggest?

BL3 is easier to install on 4mb RAM. BL1 is better if
you need to do NFS.

> replacing the bare.i kernel seems a bit challenging.

You only need to replace the BL3 kernel if you want to do NFS.
However, the bare.i kernel increases the load on 4mb RAM and
will probably reduce performance noticeably. I suggest you
stick with the BL3 kernel if possible (or install BL1 instead
of BL3).

> But can BL1 guarantee ease of use?

Nope. A 386 with 4mb RAM does not have the resources for
"ease of use" functionality. It is possible to run Linux
on that system, but it is not easy. You are going to have
to learn how Linux works. You cannot depend on user-friendly
point-and-click wizards to help you.