baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 website

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 website
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:30:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > Is there some way to install from floppy disk and use
> > loadlin?
>
> Not easily. If you have a bootable DOS partition, you should
> use the DOS version.
>
> > My laptop computer is short of disk space. I don't have
> > room for a 15MB DOS loop version and also a linux partition
> > of a reasonable size. Can I put the kernel in a DOS partition
> > and boot with it as in BL2?
>
> Yes, you can boot any Linux root partition by using loadlin.
> Just steal the kernel from the Linux /boot directory (or
> wherever it is stored) and put it on the DOS partition with
> loadlin.exe.
>
> > Or does the lilo version offer a choice between DOS and
> > linux?
>
> No.

Can the 2-floppy version be installed without lilo going into the mbr, or
installed with lilo, then remove lilo by fdisk /mbr, after copying the
kernel in a DOS linux-loadlin partition with loadlin? Or is there a
better way to remove lilo? Is the kernel on the linux partition somewhere
to be copied? If not, is the latest kernel any different from the earlier
versions of BL3? I could copy it from elsewhere via DOS floppy disk if
not. (zimage or the 486 version). I have never used lilo.

> > Can the 2-floppy version be installed from DOS partition
> > to linux partition without first making floppy disks?
>
> No. The first floppy is an image file that needs to be
> written raw to the floppy. It contains lilo, kernel and
> compressed root filesystem, all on the one floppy.
>
> > If you put a bit more info on installation methods
> > there you might get fewer requests for explanations
>
> I'm not getting a lot of requests for explanations.
>
> > from people who don't know which version to download
> > for what purpose.
>
> What's so complicated? If you want to boot from DOS use
> the DOS version. If you want to boot from floppies, use
> the floppy version. Most newbies don't give two hoots about
> the mechanics of the booting process.

Someone else just wrote in asking how to install to hard disk, who had
obviously not yet tried the floppy version. You said install-to-hd.

I don't recall the website mentioning that the two versions came with
installation instructions. Maybe I missed that, but so did he.

I will go learn to make the floppy version and then experiment with it on
an empty drive. We have several extra computers.