baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 website

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 website
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 06:56:25 +0000

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Is there some way to install from floppy disk and use
> loadlin?

Not easily. If you have a bootable DOS partition, you should
use the DOS version.

> My laptop computer is short of disk space. I don't have
> room for a 15MB DOS loop version and also a linux partition
> of a reasonable size. Can I put the kernel in a DOS partition
> and boot with it as in BL2?

Yes, you can boot any Linux root partition by using loadlin.
Just steal the kernel from the Linux /boot directory (or
wherever it is stored) and put it on the DOS partition with
loadlin.exe.

> Or does the lilo version offer a choice between DOS and
> linux?

No.

> Can the 2-floppy version be installed from DOS partition
> to linux partition without first making floppy disks?

No. The first floppy is an image file that needs to be
written raw to the floppy. It contains lilo, kernel and
compressed root filesystem, all on the one floppy.

> If you put a bit more info on installation methods
> there you might get fewer requests for explanations

I'm not getting a lot of requests for explanations.

> from people who don't know which version to download
> for what purpose.

What's so complicated? If you want to boot from DOS use
the DOS version. If you want to boot from floppies, use
the floppy version. Most newbies don't give two hoots about
the mechanics of the booting process.