baslinux - [BL] Debian granular libraries article: ATTN Steven!

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Debian granular libraries article: ATTN Steven!
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:00:30 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.linuxdevices.com/cgi-bin/printerfriendly.cgi?id=AT9049109449

If I read this article correctly, it seems like it could contain
information very helpful to BL development. A relevant excerpt:

"At this point, I stumbled upon Debian's PIC (Position Independent Code)
libraries. These are the standard libraries, broken up into little pieces.
They are broken up in such a way that you can take only the pieces you
need and combine them together into a single library file. No recompiling
is necessary. You don't even have to know which pieces you
require--there's a little shell script that does that for you called
mklibs.sh. When you run this script, it examines the binary or binaries
you point it at, determines which pieces of which libraries are needed,
grabs the appropriate pieces from the PIC libraries, squashes them
together and produces a directory full of library files--perfectly
customized to your binaries, with no more and no less than exactly what
you need. This alone was enough to make me a Debian convert."

Does it look as helpful as it seems to me it might be?

James