baslinux - Re: [BL] mdacon problem in BL2 on hard disk

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mdacon problem in BL2 on hard disk
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:21:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > But what would make BL2 hard disk behave differently
> > as regards the display from BL2 RAMdisk or BL3 hard
> > disk?
>
> The HD version of BL2 was designed to be a foundation
> for Slackware 7.1. Therefore, for example, the startup
> and shutdown scripts were done like Slackware. On the
> other hand, BL3 and BL2 ramdisk were not designed to
> emulate Slackware. They use a simplified structure.

What startup script do you suggest looking at to fix the mdacon problem in
BL2 hard disk? I checked another computer with the same age motherboard
(Pentium I 1997, 233 or 200MHz cpu). BL2 hard disk mdacon works perfectly
there, with either S3 or Tseng video. The one where it does not work has
Tseng video. VESA 2.0 in both cases.

I would suspect something in CMOS (shadow video ROM) except
it WORKS for BL2 RAMdisk and for BL3. I may try disabling shadow ROM.
Perhaps the two printer modules are causing problems.

Maybe the memory is being used differently in RAMdisk and hard disk BL2?
Or something is being loaded to RAM that is interfering with video RAM?
I am using the same DOS (DR-DOS) on both computers. Is there something
like the DOS mem/c/p command to see how memory is being used in BL3 and
Bl2? (How much is used by the kernel and TSRs).

I put the mdacon line in rc.S (BL2 hard disk) or rc (BL3). Should I try
putting it in some other rc.* instead for BL2? (I forget where I put it
in BL2 RAMdisk and I can't access that from BL3, which I am using now, to
look).

This will be an incentive for me to learn to compile for BL3, I guess, if
I can't get BL2 working with both monitors on hard disk. And to install
BL3 to hard disk first, at least to help figure out the problem.

> > I recall file names displaying in color in BL2 Ramdisk
> > but not hard disk (but I forget what file to modify to
> > change this).
>
> ls --color

Would this somehow affect mdacon? I would think listing in color would be
more likely to cause problems than fix them.