baslinux - Re: [BL] Another Linux Distrbution needed&In-Reply-To=BAY17-F43zFr9nwd96o000059a7@h

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Another Linux Distrbution needed&In-Reply-To=BAY17-F43zFr9nwd96o000059a7@h
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:58:08 +1200

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Would it work to use BL1 but replace the kernel
> with the BL3 kernel, Steven?

No. If you want to use BL1, you should use the normal
BL1 kernel.

> I know of only one advantage of BL1 over BL3 and that
> is FTP comes with BL1

Also BL1 has a more comprehensive kernel (eg it does NFS),
BL1 displays GIFs without X, BL1 has a proper login system
with different usernames.

> but I think Steven has posted it as an add-on for BL3.

Not yet. The only people who expressed interest in full FTP
capability already have it.

> I was able to easily install BL1 to hard drive,
> I have not tried installing BL3 to hard drive yet but it
> is probably even easier to do.

With 4mb RAM, BL3 is much easier to install than BL1. That's
one of the reasons BL3 was produced (to allow easy installation
with less than 8mb RAM).

> (can one boot BL3 using a DOS boot disk somehow with the kernel
> on it?),

Yes. If BL3 is already installed to a HD partition, all you
need is a bootable floppy with loadlin.exe and zimage. Put
the boot.bat stuff in autoexec.bat.

> Does BL3 install itself to 15MB of hard drive or can you
> make a smaller linux partition for it?

You decide how big the partition is when your create it (fdisk).

> Does linux need some free disk space to work in?

No. All it needs is a kernel and a root filesystem (which
can be a FD, HD, CD, ramdisk, or loop)

> And maybe explain how the BL3 to hard drive process works.

fdisk
mke2fs
mount
install-to-hd