baslinux - Re: [BL] cd install

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] cd install
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 13:22:47 +1200

Owen Jones wrote:

> I want to use basiclinux but i dont have a floppy drive
> (long story) could/how would i burn it to cd?

AFAIK there is no simple way for you to put BL3 on a CDrom.
However, I could be wrong. I know nothing about burning
CDroms.

The floppy version boots with LILO which loads the kernel
and uncompresses the initrd to ramdisk. I think LILO looks
at specific locations on the floppy for the kernel/initrd,
so simply raw-copying the floppy to CDrom is unlikely to
work.

The DOS version boots from DOS and uses loadlin.exe to
load the kernel and uncompress a tiny initrd (which mounts
fs.img as a loop device). This looks specifically on the
HD for fs.img (so a CDrom will not work).

What you need is a version of BL3 that runs fs.img in a
ramdisk (instead of a loop-file). However, for that to
work, you would need a kernel (zimage) that is able to
accommodate 15mb ramdisks. The current kernel does not
(its ramdisks must be 4mb or smaller). Just for fun a
few months ago I compiled a BL3 kernel with 15mb ramdisks.
It happily ran fs.img in a ramdisk. Unfortunately, I did
not keep a copy of that kernel.

This issue does not occur with BL1 and BL2. They are both
designed to boot from DOS and run in a ramdisk, so booting
them from CDrom is not difficult. However, in its present
form BL3 is not suitable for CDrom booting.