baslinux - Re: [BL] internationalization BL3

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] internationalization BL3
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 11:43:12

On 30 May 04 at 21:29, cce.zizkov AT volny.cz wrote:

>Next step for me will be to experiment with XVesa on my BL2
>system.

I installed XVesa parallel to the complete X of Slackware 7.1.
I had to add the export display into xinitrc. Then I was able
to start even icewm with XVesa.

1. Unfortunately XVesa messed up the vga=XX setting from
loadlin.exe, the console screens were reset to 25x80 mode.

2. When I circumvented XVesa internal fonts (adding the -fn
parameter to rvxt or other application) I could run iso8859-2
fonts in terminal window, and in _somehow_ produce _almost_ any
Czech character I wanted. Of course it is not a Czech keyboard.
I did not involve xkbmap, yet.

3. When I started firebird from XVesa I was not able to produce
any Czech characters with the keyboard. Although firebird had
not entirely cooperated with the Czech keyboard and localization
that I had installed under X before, it had given restricted
access (very similar to that mentioned above in par. 2) to the
Czech characters. This, however does not work with XVesa.

Next step for me will be to experiment with XVesa on my BL1 system,
where the entire Czech localization works.

Is there anybody on the list who has successfully tried to install
international keyboards under XVesa (xkbmap or other methods)?

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov