baslinux - [BL] internationalization BL3

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] internationalization BL3
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 21:29:56

Hi Steven,

I begin to like BL3, because it seems to behave quite friendly
towards my first attempts installing Czech keyboard and fonts .

1. The console fonts and international keyboards from Slackware3.5
(kbd.tgz) run without any problems. But: Every time after returning
from XVesa to one of the three consoles, you have to load the
iso8859-2 screen font again.

2. I installed some iso8859-2 X fonts into the BL3 file system. And
after some editing of font.dir and the configuration files of
X, XVesa, MENU etc., I was quite happy with it. rcxt and text
applications running under rcxt displayed Czech characters
correctly and even more: through the ALT keys I was able to type Czech
characters within X, without installing any X keyboard mappings.
Somebody on the list claimed, that XVesa inherits keyboard mapping
from the console. This may be the reason. It is not possible,
however, to switch between keyboard mappings with the Pause key.

I have not made any effort to get the full Czech keyboard support
under XVesa, yet. But the beginning is quite promising and more than
I have ever been able to do in BL2 (Slackware 7.1).

It would be interesting to know where XVesa is looking for fonts,
how to change configuration etc. Is there any documentation on that?

Next step for me will be to experiment with XVesa on my BL2
system.

As I am still mainly using BL1, I am glad that BL3 development
helps to add new functionality to BL1.

Regards,
Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov