baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Problem with the kernel 2.2.16

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Problem with the kernel 2.2.16
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 08:04:18 +1200

Lamotkin AT softhome.net wrote:

> hda: QUANTUM TRB850A, ATA DISK drive
> hdc: CD-58E, ATAPI CDROM drive
> hdd: FUJITSU MCC3064AP, ATAPI OPTICAL drive

There is your drive. The kernel sees it on /dev/hdd.
Everything OK so far.

> /<#>mount /dev/hdd /MO
> hdd: driver not present

Ah, there's your problem. The kernel doesn't know how
to deal with an ATAPI OPTICAL drive. What the hell is
an optical drive anyway? Is it the same as an ATAPI
CDROM drive?

Have you been able to mount /dev/hdc (your CDROM drive)?
If not, you probably have not installed the CDROM modules
(see /etc/rc). Perhaps those same modules will activate
your ATAPI OPTICAL drive too?

> Then I tried the following kernel:
> slackware-7.1/kernels/bare.i/bzimage
> Doesn't help (just produces more 'hdd: driver not present' messages).

The bare.i kernel has the CDROM drivers built in, so that
is not the problem. I'm guessing that your OPTICAL drive
post-dates Slackware 7.1. The 2.2.16 kernel simply doesn't
grok your device.

> I spotted a module:
> slackware-7.1/modules/2.2.16/block/ide-mod.o'.
> Is it the driver?

I doubt it. But you can insmod it anyway and see what happens.
All it takes is a rmmod to remove it.

> Should I reassemble the kernel (which one?) with this file?

Unless you can find source code for the device driver (perhaps
from the manufacturer?) there is no point recompiling 2.2.16.
If your device post-dates that kernel, it is possible that a
device driver has already been added to a later kernel. You
may have better luck with a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel.