baslinux - [BL] Re: Problem with the kernel 2.2.16

  • From: Lamotkin AT softhome.net
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Re: Problem with the kernel 2.2.16
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 07:02:38 -0600

3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org writes:
Lamotkin AT softhome.net wrote:

Does anybody know how to edit '/etc/mtab' ?
It's a symlink to '/proc/mounts' (it's size==0 !!!)

In BL1 and BL2 /etc/mtab is the file used by mount to keep track of what filesystems are currently mounted. It writes
to /etc/mtab every time it mounts or umounts.
BL3 is different. /etc/mtab is just a window on /proc/mounts (you can't edit it). The reason for this is: the busybox mount in BL3 does not write to /etc/mtab. In order to see the current situation, you need to look in /proc/mounts.
'ERROR 22' occurs when I'm trying to save the file.

Why are you trying to save /etc/mtab?
It's all to gain access to my Fujitsu M25-MCC3064AP
MO drive (640 Mb, IDE).

Is it not possible to mount that drive in the usual way?

Till now I thought the usual way to mount an IDE device
(a [M]agneto-[O]ptical drive in my case, not an HDD)
is to edit '/etc/mtab' first (adding '/dev/hdd /MO msdos rw 0 0'),
create that '/MO', then run 'mount /dev/hdd'.
Is it right?

Are there any specific drivers required?

For an IDE drive? No, you should be able to mount it
immediately (assuming it is on an IDE cable and is correctly jumpered for master/slave). What does dmesg say about that drive?