baslinux - Re: [BL] Strange lines after startx

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Strange lines after startx
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 10:53:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 12 May 2004 cce.zizkov AT volny.cz wrote:

> [...]

There are four Cyrillic fonts commonly in use. Windows uses CP1251, there
is ISO 1899-5 (both of these include non-Russian Cyrillic), KOI8 is just
Russian (or there is a Ukrainian version of it) and then there is CP866.
The first three put Cyrillic characters in extended ASCII 126-223 (or
part of that range). CP866 (original DOS Russian, I think) reserves that
range for box characters. It is what I usually load, but I must have got
the odd-looking frames when experimenting with other fonts.

So I tried cp864, which provides a lot of Latin characters with
diacritics, and it also preserves the box characters. I am on my DOS
computer right now so cannot look at what kbd.tgz provided but there is
probably a cp864 or its equivalent in the large collection there.

If not, it can be copied from fntcol16.zip at simtel and used in linux.
You might need to remap the keyboard or something to use this font instead
of lat4.

cp852 provides the E. European diacritics and also MOST Of the box
characters are preserved but there are a few diacritics in the normal
box-character range. I guess there were just too many to avoid the range
entirely. 4 a's with various squiggles attached (plus upper case).

> 2. Mercyful software that allows to use 7bit semigraphical characters
> instead of 8bit frames, lines etc.
>
> Example: If you start mc with parameter -a frames and lines are
> displayed only with -, +, and |.

This is clever. I wish there were a way to also set all programs to
display properly in mono. When using the gui font-setting program for
console mode I cannot read the first letter of each font on my mono VGA
monitor. Dark on dark. Older DOS programs often had a mono switch.