baslinux - Re: [BL] Add On Packages

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Add On Packages
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:18:18 +1200

MikeBrooks wrote:

> From some of the the previous answers I got the impression
> that BL1 and BL3 both use SW3.5

The first BasicLinux (BL1) was based on Slackware 3.5.
Kernels, modules, packages, everything from Slack35.

Subsequently BasicLinux upgraded (BL2) to Slackware 7.1.
Again, kernels, modules, packages from Slack71.

BL3 is different. It uses kernels and modules from Slack71,
but (unlike BL2) it is targetted at really old PCs. It needs
small libraries to perform well on old PCs. I would like to
use uClibc, but it is not yet stable, so I am temporarily
using libc5 (which is what BL1 used). This has a positive
side effect of permitting users to install packages from
Slackware 3 or 4.

> However the current page which says that the current version
> of BasicLinux is 3.02, in the "Further Information and support"
> section lists "Slackware 7.1 Mirrors."

The Slack71 mirrors are there for users to download any modules
they need or to get a replacement kernel for the (very slim)
BL3 kernel. It is not there for packages. If you want packages
for BL3, you should use Slackware 3 or 4. However, as I say,
this situation is probably temporary. As soon as uClibc is
stable, I will look to translating everything to that library.

The bad news is that uClibc development has gone strangely
quiet. I can see no sign of the long-awaited 1.0 version.

> Please could you explain if I have just misunderstood the
> previous stuff or is this an error.

Sorry about the confusion. BL3 has only just been released
and is slowly taking shape. I used the BL2 kernel and the BL1
libraries because that was the quickest way to get BL3 out and
because it enabled existing users to mix and match their BL1
and BL2 components.