baslinux - Re: [BL] [BL2] User account not write access

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] [BL2] User account not write access
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 04:19:37 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> You can, if you want. However, if security is an issue, it is
> much better to use a non-root account. For proper management
> and security of non-root accounts, I recommend you install the
> shadow.tgz package.

I thought the shadow package caused all kinds of problems. Or is it just
that it's a pain to get it setup properly? Something about needing certain
programs compiled with shadow support or something, IIRC. Anyway, I'll
look into using the shadow package.

Something else I discovered when I started playing around. When I attempt
to FTP into the BL box, I can't log in using the user account (it asks for
password, and won't accept empty password). Is this a security issue for
the inetd (the program used to call the ftp server IIRC). Or could this be
a further issue with the user account? I can telnet in and log in as user
with no problems, so it appears to just be FTP that is affected.

Anyway, thanks for the help so far.

Matrix Mole
matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org