baslinux - Re: [BL] [BL2] User account not write access

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] [BL2] User account not write access
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 17:49:23 +1200

Matrix Mole wrote:

> I thought the shadow package caused all kinds of problems.

Not that I know of.

> Or is it just that it's a pain to get it setup properly?

No setup needed. Just: installpkg shadow.tgz

> Something about needing certain programs compiled with shadow
> support or something, IIRC.

Slackware 7.1 normally uses shadow, so the packages will
be ready for that.

> Anyway, I'll look into using the shadow package.

I'm in BL2 right now and I've had shadow installed here since
July. I don't recall any problems arising.

> When I attempt to FTP into the BL box, I can't log in using the
> user account (it asks for password, and won't accept empty password).
> Is this a security issue for the inetd

More likely an issue for ftpd. I don't use ftpd myself, but I seem
to recall that there is a special file somewhere that sets access
rights for users. Whether it will let you login with an empty
password, I don't know. Sounds like a security no-no to me.