baslinux - Re: [BL] compiling X applications

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] compiling X applications
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 21:11:24 -0500 (EST)

> cce.zizkov AT volny.cz wrote:
> >
> > My system is BL2 + compiler and large parts from Slackware 7.1
> > + glibc from Slackware 8.1 (in order to run phoenix/firebird)
>
> So you have two different libs: glibc-2.2 runtimes (Slack81)
> and the full glibc-2.1 (Slack71) for compiling. There are
> significant differences between those two versions.
>

> I don't know if those are caused by having non-compatible
> runtime libs, but it might be. The safest option is to
> use the same lib versions for runtime and for compiling.

I was able to compile lynx and a few other things with the same setup that
is described - runtime libraries from SW81 and compilation libraries from
SW71. I had all sorts of problems, some of which had to do with busybox
not being adequate (did not work with certain switches). I had to install
echo from sh-utils, and sort from txtutils. I was able to compile zlib
and openssh and part of ncurses (libncurses.a worked, but the runtime
libraries would not work). On this mixed system, I could not get
realplayer 8 to install (it gave me segmentation fault) even though it
would install on a system without any compiler, or on one with updated
runtime libraries and updated compiler libraries.

I was using the older compilation libraries so that the programs would
work for other users of BL2. And the newer runtime libraries in order to
use Opera 7.23.

How much larger would BL2 be if it were installed to HD with the updated
runtime libraries rather than the ones from SW71?

You might try replacing all the programs in busybox with their full-sized
versions to see if that helps.