baslinux - [BL] Saving changes to ram disk

  • From: Ian Scott <mriscott AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Saving changes to ram disk
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 06:09:29 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Just a quick note to tell y'all of a way to save changes you make to your
ramdisk.

What you do is:

Boot BL
Make changes
Mount your dos drive.
CD to wherever you installed BL.

Copy the contents of your ramdisk to a file:
cat /dev/ram0>ramdisk
and zip it up
gzip ramdisk

(Both of these may take a while, depending on the power of your computer)

You will then have a new ramdisk called ramdisk.gz which contains the changes
you
just made.

If you then rename your normal ramdisk (baslinux.gz or whatever it is called)
to something else (so you have a backup if your changes don't work) and rename
your new ramdisk to baslinux.gz, next time you boot BL, you will use your
changed ramdisk.

I find this useful for persisting changes to configuration files, etc - I now
have a saveram script in my ramdisk to do this so it can save itself!

Hope this is useful,

Ian