baslinux - [BL] compiling X applications

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] compiling X applications
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 11:50:16

Hi list,

these days I have unsuccessfully tried to compile quite
a lot of applications for X windows and very often got typical
errormessages. Is there anybody who is able to explain them?

My system is BL2 + compiler and large parts from Slackware 7.1
+ glibc from Slackware 8.1 (in order to run phoenix/firebird)

1. typical error message during compilation:

undefined reference to `atexit@@GLIB_2.0'

2. another typical problem are applications based on GTK. Slackware
7.1 contains GTK version 1.2.8. Applications I tried to
compile requested 1.2.0 or newer. The configure script runs some kind
of test program and fails with the error message:

The test program failed to compile or link. See the file
config.log for the exact error that occurred. This usually means
GTK was incorrectly installed or that you have moved GTK since it
was installed. In the latter case you may want to edit the
gtk-config script: /usr/bin/gtk-config

The config.log file actually contains errormessages of the kind
described above:

undefined reference to `atexit@@GLIB_2.0'
undefined reference to `fnmatch@@GLIB_2.0'
undefined reference to `shmctl@@GLIB_2.0'
undefined reference to `localeconv AT GLIB_2.0'

Is there an incompatibility of Slackware packages in regards to
standard GTK installations? Or did I miss to install some packet
related to glibc?

Regards
Christof Lange

Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>
Prokopova 4, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
phone: (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov