baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:00:28 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > Since you say you won't be doing a 2-floppy version of BL3
> > (at least for a while) or making it easy to install to hard
> > drive,
>
> Installing to HD should not be difficult.
> cp -a
> edit /etc/fstab
> edit BOOT.BAT

Is that all that is involved? I thought it was something a lot more
complicated, from what I read in the books. You need to edit boot.bat in
any event, even with your setup.

> What I said was I would not be providing a special version
> for HD (a version that includes extra stuff).
>
> > could you set it up to save the pppd configuration files
> > (phone number, DNS numbers, etc.) to the hard drive directory
> > where BL3 is booted from,
>
> How is Linux supposed to figure out from which DOS directory
> loadlin.exe was executed? Perhaps I should specify a
> compulsory DOS directory to use? For example: C:\BASLIN

That would work. You don't even need to use that directory for loadlin,
just as a location to which to save the configuration files. Someone
might have a nearly full C: partition and have installed BL3 to D: but
should still have a bit of room for two small files.

> > Another option is to include instructions on how to gunzip
> > baslinux.gz and modify the configuration files and recompress,
>
> BL1 used to include such instructions. I removed them because
> inexperienced users kept getting into trouble with them.

There is not much that is safe from inexperienced users, including me.
Maybe you could write something that would check first on a: and if
nothing was there then check C:\baslin, when you do add a 2-floppy option.