baslinux - Re: [BL] sound recording

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] sound recording
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 08:18:02

Hi Steven, Ron, and all,

may be the following would be interesting for FAQ. Probably it
would be necessary to do some more experiments.

On 15 Feb 04 at 6:29, ariadne AT acepia.net.au wrote:

1. record stream
----------------

>> is there anybody who can tell me if it is possible to record a
>> sound stream for realplayer or windowsplayer to hard disk?

> All that is required is a utility to take the output from the soundcard
>and record it as a .wav file.

I did many unsuccessful and a few successful tests. One problem that
ocurred is that links to streaming download text files
containing other links with URL. So you are forced to type a lot of
complicated URL addresses with several cryptic protocol names.

If you try to download sound stream you should definetely not use a
33.6 modem as I did.

The few successful attempts I made:

- mpg123: if you add an output file to the command line it will not
play the file, but download it to your hard disk; you may monitor the
recording by playing the file on a different console

- streamripper: is a program designed for this task, but far from
universally working.

- wget: add -O filename to the command line in order to download the
stream.

I repeat: Obviously the possibility of downloading relies on the
benevolence of the streaming software on the other side.

None of the above worked with realplayer streams. Instead links
browser was able to download some of those.

2. recording with sound card
----------------------------

>> And another question: How can I record sound coming from an anlog
>> source into a sound file?
>
> If you mean, say, from a radio or external cassette player, then you need
>to take the output (such as through an audio wire from the speaker/earplug
>jack on the external source unit) and connect that to the "line-in" jack in
>the soundcard.

> There is a sound recorder in the sounds package for slakware7.1, but I
>haven't used it as yet (play/rec). It is a front-end for sox.
>
>Install /ap1/sox.tgz , then: man rec

Here, I was not entirely successful either:

- The rec script from sox.tgz is able to produce low quality
recordings, eg. I could not get it to record stereo at all.

- There is another program on the internet called wavplay-1.4.
that does stereo recording that comes very close to the analog input.
Unfortunately after a few seconds it aborts with the message:

Sound: DMA (input) timed out - IRW/DRQ config error?

Does anybody know, how I might find version wavplay-1.3? Are
there other utilities?

- you should immediately convert the recording to mp3, eg. with lame.
Here is a simple script to record:

------------------------------------
#! /bin/sh
clear
echo "Record! "
# using sox:
rec -r44100 -S radio.wav
# or using wavplay:
# wavrec -s 44100 -S radio.wav
echo -n "Name of mp3 file: "
read mp3name
if ! [-z "$mp3name"]; then
lame -h radio.wav "$mp3name".mp3
fi
rm radio.wav

Regards
Christof Lange

Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>
Prokopova 4, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
phone: (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov