baslinux - Re: [BL] sound recording

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] sound recording
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 06:29:38 -0500

Hi Folks,

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:29:56
cce.zizkov AT volny.cz wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> is there anybody who can tell me if it is possible to record a
> sound stream for realplayer or windowsplayer to hard disk?

It should be. It certainly is in DOS/WIN3.1, so I am sure it can be done
in basiclinux.

All that is required is a utility to take the output from the soundcard
and record it as a .wav file.

e.g. In Win3.1 I use soundo'LE that came with my SoundBlaster card
software,
or you can use the sound recorder that comes in Windows accessories.

Start the recorder BEFORE you start playback on RealPlayer or
WindowsPlayer,
then stop it after the playback is complete. Save the file as somename.wav,
and then
use a wav-editor to trim away the start and finish - no need to make a wav
file
any bigger than it needs to be. I also recommend that you convert this to an
MP3
file if you intend to keep it. It takes surprisingly few .wav file sto fill a
hard disk.

> And another question: How can I record sound coming from an anlog
> source into a sound file?

If you mean, say, from a radio or external cassette player, then you
need to take the output (such as through an audio wire from the
speaker/earplug jack on the external source unit) and connect that to
the "line-in" jack in the soundcard. Then use the same arrangement as above.

I have done this under Win3.1 without drama. I have then converted the
.wav files to .MP3 files using both bladeenc and/or lame, or to .OGG with
audiocv (these all in DOS).

In basiclinux:

There is a sound recorder in the sounds package for slakware7.1, but
I haven't used it as yet (play/rec). It is a front-end for sox.

Install /ap1/sox.tgz , then: man rec

Regards,
Ron

--