baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Please tell me about BL3

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Please tell me about BL3
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:19:45 -0500 (EST)

A suggestion for a smaller editor for BL3.

I just somehow managed to compile E3, written in assembler language, for
linux. (It can also be compiled for the various BSDs, DOS and Win9x etc.)
9,346 bytes. I am not sure whether the program compressed it for me as it
said you could compile it to under 4K. Pico (nano) on BL2 is 48K.

E3 includes a built-in calculator. It also lets you use Wordstar or Pico
or Vim or Emacs commands and compile for any of them as default if you
edit an .h file first. It has a few things that I find annoyingly missing
in Pico - go forward or backward one word, go to start or end of page.

To compile I needed to:

1. Make a copy of a sed in /bin/ where the program expects it (or edit
some file to /usr/bin/sed by changing SEDPATH=

2. It gave me error 127 Echo: command not found.

I have had this problem when compiling lynx and openssl, and was told to
change from sh to bash on the top line of the script and also to add
SHELL=BASH to the Makefil. So I added this line to the Makefile and it
worked.

3. I did make test and was told there was another error:
bash:diff: command or file not found.

I installed a small diff.pkg from slackware 7.1 and it all worked.

I tried to run ./make install but that does not work
bash: make: No such file or directory
(I could run make and make test okay)
so I will copy all the
produced files e3?? (e3 executable and epi pico and evi vim etc. - some
sort of symlink to e3) to /usr/local/bin or where else might I put them?
There are also four files that should go in some doc directory, and .html
and man files.

I am utterly astonished that I managed to compile an .asm program without
any help. SHELL=BASH was the big one. Is there some way to modify BL2 so
people will not need to do this? Apparently the symlink from sh to bash
does not invoke echo even though echo is built into bash. I looked at
sh-utils and there is a man page for echo but no actual echo binary - Doug
said echo was not built into sh. This is the fourth file I have had to
change from sh to bash in order to compile.

Maybe Steven or someone wants to try compiling e3 to test out this problem
with echo command not found.

Let me know where people would like these files to end up and I will make
a BL2 package. It says it is not dependent on any libraries so it might
also work with BL1. Which directories are on the path for both versions
that I can put all the e3?? files into? BL2 has/ bin /sbin /usr/bin/
usr/sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin. I tend to put everything in
/usr/local/bin.

Maybe now I can figure out how to compile a few programs for playing sound
that were giving me some error messages - bplay and cdcd.

---------------------
Not related - if you reply to this please use another subject line to
match: I think it was Linux does not read floppy disks.

I notice that the disk1 of BL1 is acting strangely. I mount it with BL2
and it reads the file names but then says they are not there. I will
reformat both disks and try copying the relevant files to them from tHe
hard drive (to which part1 and part2 are already made) and see if they
work that way. First I need to try compiling lynx with the config file
set to the correct location of where the openssl library ended up.

-----------------
If you reply to this thread, please copy the below and change the subject
line to openssl.

I have openssl-0.9.7 compiled now on my machine. Something was lacking or
in the wrong place in the delilinux version. If my lynx compilation works,
would people like me to attempt to package my openssl? It will be rather
a pain if I include the hundreds of man files but I can do it if wanted.
Please change subject thread to antiword and browsers.

So far nobody has expressed any interesting in my antiword 0.35 package
(James posted it but Steven still has version 0.32 at his site). It works
fine for us. How would we set up Opera to open MSWORD .doc files with
antiword? I tried just putting in 'antiword' on the application line but
it appears I need something longer, such as a script. James, can you help
with this? antiword $1 > stdout?

When you run antiword alone you see the output on the screen by default,
or antiword filename.doc > filename.txt gives you a file. If I can invoke
some script to do this and read the file to stdout this should work.
Opera reads txt files with xedit. I did not install xedit - do I need to
do that? Can I just use less instead?

Antiword gets more complicated when you use other fonts but it has the
standard font used for English as the default. I use it with E. European
and Cyrillic fonts.

Jim's C++ instructor is posting all her assignments as .doc files which
convert to very readable text 1/10 the size but you need to first download
them. I suppose one could also read with Abiword if it imports .doc
files but I don't have that yet.

I would like to use the same script with lynx to read .doc files as there
are other idiots who post these instead of txt.

-----------------
Thread - BL1 links broken

I may try BL1 today if we can get BL1 to hd -did anyone get around to
fixing the link to BL1-hd.tgz or post it somewhere else? About 744K file.
I have a copy of the version from over a year ago but if there is a new
one will wait for it. We have an external CD-ROm drive with DOS software
and will try installing the compiler that way or split the larger file
into two after copying to a computer with CD-ROM drive from the SW32 CD,
or download from SW35 - are there any major improvements to the compiler
between versions?

The links to .gr and .jp download sites do not work. tiscali.de worked
for me when two other sites timed out on a Sunday afternoon.