baslinux - Re: [BL] Phoenix/Firebird

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Phoenix/Firebird
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:13:35 -0500 (EST)

The latest Opera 7.x is available for Redhat 7, which I think is the same
kernel as BL2 but uses glibc2.2 - is this right?

If I were to upgrade my libraries as below, does that mean that if I
compile programs on the computer with the newer libraries they will not
run on BL2 with the older libraries? If so, I want to finish lynx first
so everyone can use it.

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > What did you have to install (libraries?) to get Opera 7.21
> > to work?

> I can't speak for Opera 7.21 (never tried it), but
> recent binaries often specify glibc 2.2 or better
> (BL2 has 2.1). Some even require 2.3.
>
> I've installed glibc 2.2 on my own system (using two
> Slackware 8.1 packages) in order to run Firebird 0.5
> and xpdf 1.01. It went very smoothly:
> installpkg glibc-solibs-2.2.5-i386-2.tgz
> installpkg cxxlibs-6.2.1-i386-1.tgz

I bet these will be a long download.

Does the newer xpdf run any faster than the older one in graphical mode?
I found that it took 5 sec/page to display, or 10 sec/page to magnify and
display, on a P133. DOS ghostscript on a 486 takes only 2 sec per page
even using the psview frontend program.