baslinux - Re: [BL] SU root

  • From: Day Brown <daybrown AT hypertech.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] SU root
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 07:38:01 -0800

3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Nguyen The Luan wrote:
> >
> > "setgid : Operation not permitted"
>
> It appears that something is wrong with your user groups.
> All of your groups should be listed in /etc/group and
> each of your users (/etc/passwd) should be a member of
> one of those groups. The fourth field in /etc/passwd
> is the group ID number -- check that it matches the ID
> number (third field) in /etc/group.

I can see how a sysad would not want his users on the network to muck
around with the server.
But that attitude does not make sense for the single user desktop. So
one of the things that pisses people off about Linux is the
'permissions' issue. With dos, I can set the attributes to my critical
system files and device drivers to R)ead only. And, if that aint enough,
put these on a floppy boot with the read lock on. No sabotage sofware
will be able to mimic a normal or super user to mess with it.

And now we have BL, which both benefits from, and copes with the dos
heritage. It seems like BL is of interest to single users, not sysads,
and that it should be standard to minimize the perissions problems which
plague the larger distros. With dos, you havta go outta your way to
protect the kernel, and with Linux you havta go outta your way to open
up functionality to the single user at his own desktop. which was what
dos was always intended for. Or put another way, why isnt there an
upfront offer to install Linux that way?