baslinux - Re: [BL] Compiling C++ with BL2

  • From: Day Brown <daybrown AT hypertech.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compiling C++ with BL2
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 12:04:16 -0800

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Does gcc compile C++ as well as C and if not, what other packages need to
> be installed? This is for someone who is about to take a course in C++
> programming so that he can learn to program in C, but the course will
> probably require him to compile some programs in C++.

You know, this reminds me of my first crack at C. I had looked for a
program to do what I wanted, among the humongous BBS file lists, and
when it didnt show, got a book and the floppies to install C. But I
wasnt into a week before I discovered, that to do, what I wanted, I
couldnt do it in C, but could only use the c program to call a binary.
Well, I already knew how to code in assembly, so I just closed the book,
did the thing in handwired assy, and never looked at C again.

I cant think of a single case where what I wanted to do had not already
been coded and available for download... that could have been done in C.
Most of the time I cobbled up some .bat scripts, and spoze that those
running Linux would use ncurses these days. It strikes me, that finding
anything that needed to be done in C that has not already been written
is kinda remote.

There are still a few, rare times, when one could benefit by hacking the
hex.
What needs to be done, what there is a market for, is JAVA and other
tools for crafting webpages. Maybe network too, but I dont see new code
in C that needs to be crafted for it. Again, it's a case of knowing what
drivers are available, what their tradeoffs are, and how to set them up.