baslinux - [BL] nullmodem cable

  • From: keesan AT iamjlamb.com
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] nullmodem cable
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:50:29 -0500

>> I cannot access a floppy from my machine, nor does networking
>> operate (unless maybe I try to use the serial port),
>
>I asked this before (but I never saw an answer): do you have
>a laplink (null-modem) cable which can be used on that machine?

I don't know if James got my offer to send a wiring diagram or an adaptor
to put onto a printer cable to make a parallel transfer cable
out of it, which we use with laplink because it crashes less than
intersvr/interlnk. A nullmodem cable is serial and thus slower.

>> I could always attach a serial modem and get stuff off the
>> 'net that way using the included modem support and browser.

>Or you could link the modem to another computer with a modem
>and do a non-dialing connection (AT without the DT?). I know
>it can be done because I did it many years ago (in DOS) --
>I just don't remember exactly how to do it. Anyway, a null-modem
>cable is easier.

We were able to set up a serial connection using a nullmodem cable and
transfer files between two computers, one linux and one DOS, using Kermit
(two versions - for DOS and linux). The Kermit manuals give instructions
how to do this and are well worth the $50 contribution, which also gets
you unlimited excellent support.

-----

I have just managed to compile lynx 2.8.5 ssl static and it works but I
need to install and package it. About 1M executable, plus a config file
and manual and doc files, I think. I will post it at my website and let
James and Steven decide where else to put it, soon. (Had to wait until
some chemotherapy pills wore off before I could get enough sleep to follow
the very clear instructions from Doug Kaufman to go with his script. The
problem was it was set for /bin/sh instead of /bin/bash.)

-----

Steven said when running console programs in an xterm to start it with -e,
but it worked for me without -e. xterm -sb & made a scrollbar that I can
use by typing Shift-PgUp and Shift-PgDn, so as to have a scroll buffer for
Kermit. Still need to figure out how to get full-screen 80x25 xterm.

Sindi Keesan