baslinux - [BL] xterm and scrollbar

  • From: keesan AT iamjlamb.com
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] xterm and scrollbar
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:42:30 -0500

> Subject: [BL] scrollbar in xterm
> From: "Sindi Keesan" <keesan AT cyberspace.org>

>looks like a vertical scrollbar at the left. However I cannot get it to
>scroll, using the mouse. There are no little boxes at the top or bottom
>of the scrollbar, which extends about 80% of the way up from the bottom
>(grey narrow stripe, white above it). Where did I go wrong?

Running Linux (Oreilly) was much more helpful than the Slackware book and
explained that the xterm scrollbar can be operated by not dragging but
using a single R or L click to move up and down (by a page, half page, or
a few lines, depending how close to the bottom of the grey bar you click).
Or for those of us who hate mice,Shift-PgUP and Shift-PgDn (almost like
MS-Kermit's PgUp and PgDn).

I tried following directions for an 80x25 xterm but it comes out as 1/4
size and when I maximize it I still have tiny font. Steven's xterm looks
much better but still does not fill the screen when maximized (at my 1024
resolution) and it seems to be 70 column, not 80. I will keep reading
about making xterms unless someone wants to explain to me how to get the
xterm to look like an 80 column console (with scrollbar) at 1024 res. We
got out every generic linux book in the library - Using Linux, Running
Linux, Linux in a Nutshell.

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] xterm and scrollbar, keesan, 12/14/2003