baslinux - [BL] flwriter; wp51 and dosemu

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] flwriter; wp51 and dosemu
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 13:27:38 -0500 (EST)

1. Flwriter - there is a newer version available as source code
(Aug-Sept. 2003). Three files required. I wrote the author asking if he
has fixed a few problems in it, including page break not working and
'cannot open file' error message when I try to export RTF. He had also
offered before to improve keyboard navigation (home, end, a way to move
one word at a time). Flwriter already has better keyboard navigation
(you can access the File Edit menu by keyboard) and is much faster than
Ted, which takes about 3-5 seconds (on my P133) to load each dialog box.

I put xmodmap and the name of my modified xmodmap.std file in .xinitrc
instead of rc.S because it will only work after you load X. Now the
backspace works properly in Ted and Flwriter and xterm.

2. Dosemu will save files if you start it as dosemu -home. You can then
cd to D: and or specify to save files in D: which is the same as
/home/user/ (user being your login - won't work as root). Load the DOS
programs you want to use in /home/user/ (where there is also the directory
dosemu) and you can access any saved files from linux.

You can also login as root on one terminal and as user on another terminal
and switch between the terminals. I think this will let me see two
screens at once on a two-monitor system and thus display a gif in linux
(with seejpeg or zgv or even some X program) on the vga monitor, and
translate from what I see on the TTL monitor using dosemu and wp51/DOS.

We tested this with Jim's asm86 text editor, which he wants to use for
editing C programs until he learns to rewrite it in Linux assembly
language (maybe nasm). Before you can edit a file you need to copy it to
D: (/home/user/) and THEN start dosemu -home. Or switch to another
(non-dosemu) terminal and copy the file and switch back to the first
terminal where you are using dosemu.

You need shadow.tgz to set up user accounts with passwords (five
characters or longer). Dosemu will only work from /home/user/

Is there some way to access files in the regular DOS partitions while
using dosemu? I have saved hundreds of old translations that I modify to
make new ones, but could copy them to the /home/user/ directory in linux
if necessary.

Dosemu lets you use both dos and linux commands - cp or copy, move or mv,
ls or dir. But not dir/w.

Does basiclinux support AGP video cards? I suppose I could run the floppy
disk version to find out.