baslinux - Re: [BL] Copy from hd to floppy

  • From: Ian Scott <mriscott AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: jb_linux21 AT hotmail.com
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Copy from hd to floppy
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 03:21:22 -0500 (EST)

> My problem is that I can not see the contents of the disks (floppy and
> cdrom). I try the following:
>
> ls -lo /dev/floppy - The light goes on again. and it shows the size of a
>blank floppy isntead of a written floppy.

The problem here is that stuff under /dev is raw devices (how linux sees the
floppy drive, hard drives, serial port, etc).

You want to look at where it was mounted.

In your case this is /mnt/floppy.

The syntax of the mount command is:
mount [-t type] (device) (mount-point)

e.g.

mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

Means mount an ext2 (linux) formatted floppy from the fd0 device (floppy
drive)
under /mnt/floppy

ls /mnt/floppy should see your files.

copying direct to /dev/fd0 will mess up the formatting on your floppy, and is
probably not what you want to do.

Word to the wise - generally be careful writing to anything under /dev. I
knew
someone once who did something like
cat somefile >/dev/hda1
- which overwrote his entire hard disk!!!