baslinux - [BL] postings at James' site

  • From: keesan2 AT cyberspace.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] postings at James' site
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 10:16:33 -0500

>On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 [11]keesan2 at cyberspace.org wrote:
>>
>> Delilinux also has a very recent openssl which is newer than the one at
>> your site. Could you update yours? I am told there were some recent bug
>> fixes that improve security.
>>
>The packages on my site came from the Delilinux site. I believe I got
>them after the ssh/ssl vulnerabilities were announced. So they should be
>already the patched versions. What leads you to believe they're not?

The openssl at Delilinux was updated Nov 27. The latest openssl came out
about a month before that. I think you posted your version before the one
at Delilinux was updated.

>> Kermit was compiled for our unimproved Slackware 7.1 (the original glibc)
>> as a special favor by someone who works there and can be found at their
>> site. It is a single 2M file that you unzip and rename Kermit and make
>> executable and put on the path, not a package. You have to get hold of
>> documentation separately. No need to post it but can you or Steven add a
>> link to it?
>>
>I put links to both lynx-ssl and Kermit at my download page.
>Unfortunately, the link you provided for Kermit seems to be dead. Do you
>have a more up-to-date, or perhaps corrected, link?
>James

www.funet.fi/pub/kermit/binaries/cku209.linux-i386-sw7.1

The instructions for installation are roughly:
Rename the file wermit, give it permissions (chmod x wermit), test it on
your machine, rename it kermit, and put it on the path (for instance in
/usr/bin/). If you want documentation get that separately and put it
where it belongs. ckututor.txt is a long user's manual.