baslinux - [BL] postings at James' site

  • From: keesan2 AT cyberspace.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] postings at James' site
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 08:28:21 -0500

>On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, sindi keesan wrote:
>
>> I notice that there are now links on the BL2 home page to files posted by
>> James and JP, and I downloaded zgv and that works fine too (but I need to
>> figure out again how to set it up to use with browsers). I found James'
>> readme list of available files but it does not match the actual list there
>> for download in that lynx-ssl and opera6.05 are not there. James, could
>> you either post these or put links to them? I forget who compiled
>> lynx-ssl (284). I will ask Doug Kaufman to help me, now that I have the
>

> zgv at my download page comes straight from delilinux.

Delilinux also has a very recent openssl which is newer than the one at
your site. Could you update yours? I am told there were some recent bug
fixes that improve security.

The readme file that describes some of the files located at my
>download site is, unfortunately, incomplete. I think I simply used
>Steven's readme. I'll try to find time to make it more pertinent to the
>files actually located there. lynx-ssl was compiled by Howard Eisenberg,
>if memory serves. I can load it there, if you think that advisable. I
>believe Steven also has a copy on his download site.

No need to have two copies. It was confusing to have a readme file that
did not correspond with your list. I will try compile lynx 2.8.5 some
time soon (static).

>> Kermit (compiled specially for us) comes with instructions how to install
>> it - is it worth linking to it at the BL2 page? I use it for dialing our
>> bbs and it also comes with nice telnet, ftp and file transfer programs -
>> the latter worked for transferring files between a DOS computer and a
>> linux computer via parallel cable.
>>
>If you have a Slack package for Kermit I'd definitely think it worth
>having for BL users. I'd be happy to host the file at my download site.

James

Kermit was compiled for our unimproved Slackware 7.1 (the original glibc)
as a special favor by someone who works there and can be found at their
site. It is a single 2M file that you unzip and rename Kermit and make
executable and put on the path, not a package. You have to get hold of
documentation separately. No need to post it but can you or Steven add a
link to it?