baslinux - Re: [BL] RealTek8139 NIC

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] RealTek8139 NIC
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:16:08 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Matrix Mole wrote:

> I have finally managed to track down the make and manufacturer of the NIC
> in my BL system. It's a RealTek8139 card. Reading through the HowTo's they
> mention something about the 8139 having a lot of problems. Has anyone else
> encountered problems with this card? I know that I have to use the special
> rtl8139 driver (or 8139too if the previos doesn't work right). I'm just
> wanting to see if anyone else has had any problems with this card that
> might save me some headaches before I start setting it up and installing
> the drivers.

The machine I'm using now has the rlt8139 chip on the mobo's integrated
NIC. I've not had a single networking problem since I set up this machine
a little over a year ago. I've used the NIC for internet access, file
sharing and serving out xsessions without a hitch. I should mention
though that this is not my BL2 machine: I used a Debian'ish distro (Woody)
on it for awhile, which I've now upgraded to Sid. So, the module I'm
using for this card is much newer than the one you'd get for BL2, so I
cannot say whether you might have problems or not with the older module.

James