baslinux - Re: [BL] Diable RamDrive

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Diable RamDrive
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:08:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Matrix Mole wrote:

> Where would I find the necessary data to disable the automatic RamDrive
> that BL2 creates on bootup? I'm using the hard drive install version
> through Loadlin on a system with 64MB of physical ram. I'd like to prevent
> the system from createing ramdrives that use up 32mb of my 64. Any advice?

Hmmm. If I understand this question right, it sounds like you might not
have edited boot.bat to point to your BL2 partition: so far as I know BL
installed to HD, when boot.bat is edited according to instructions found
at the end of the "install" script, doesn't create or use any ramdrives.
I forget the specifics at the moment, but boot.bat should look something
like
-----------------------------------
loadlin zimage root=/dev/hda1 ro
----------------------------------
whereas with the ramdrive version of BL it points to a root partition at
/dev/ram or some such and has something in there about initrd. The thing
that makes me wonder if I'm understanding your question correctly though
is that, so far as I know, BL2 would use up no more than a total of 8MB of
RAM for its ramdrive - but you're talking about 32MB! I think that, only
if one were to edit the baslin.gz file of the ramdrive version (which is
complicated: it involves insmod'ing something and mounting the file system
as a loop device or something like that) to increase the size of the
ramdrive(s), would it be using that much of your RAM to set up a ramdrive.
So, maybe you can tell us how you determined that BL2 is using 32MB of RAM
for a ramdrive? Did you just perhaps enter "free" at the command line?
If so, that shows how much of your RAM/swap is in use by currently-running
programs. Anyway, without going on further guessing about this - at least
speaking for myself - I'd need some more information before trying to help
further with your question.

James