baslinux - Re: [BL] sis900 ethernet card

  • From: "James Miller (office)" <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] sis900 ethernet card
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:14:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Andy Davice wrote:

> Hi again. I celebrated too soon... :-(

Sorry to hear that.

> When I used insmod to install the driver, it
> seemed to work initially - I got the following
> text (btw, is there an easy way to dump screen
> contents into a text file or clipboard in linux?
> Writing it all out is fiddly):

Try
------------------------------------
insmod sis900.o > insmodsis900.txt
-------------------------------------
This should save the output to a file called insmodsis900.txt (the .txt
extension is optional: I added it thinking you might want to read the file
on a Win/DOS machine) in the pwd (pwd = present working directory). The
file's name, as you could guess, can be whatever you'd like. I just gave
it the name of the command you were trying to run as something that makes
sense to me.

> ~<#> insmod sis900.o
>
> Using /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc/sis900.o
> PCI: Enabling bus master for device 00:58
> SiS900.c : V1.06.03 12/23/99
> eth0: SiS900 PCI Fast ethernet at 0x5a00, IRQ O,
> 00:06:4f:04:b3:bc
> eth0: SiS 900 internal M11 PHY Trasceiver found at
> address 1
> eth0: SiS 900 internal M11 PHY as default
>
> And this looked good. However, when I tried:
>
> ~<#> ifconfig eth0 62.254.148.73
>
> the result was:
>
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable

Well, IRQ O (that character shows up as "O" - capital "o" - in my email
client) doesn't look very good. It should be a number, as far as I know.
And if it's the integer 0 rather than 1 or more, it still probably
indicates a problem. I think I'll let Steven address this further, since
he likely understand much better than me what the problem may be and how
to address it.

> I thought that maybe I needed to reboot for the
> change to take effect, but when I did so there was
> no mention of eth0 in the startup spiel (I used
> dmesg to go through it). Looks like it didnt install.

No, rebooting will probably hose your changes. insmod only works while
you're booted into the current session. If you want to make it permanent,
you need to make insmod run in one of the system startup scripts -
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet , I believe. Just add the line in the appropriate place
there.

> Any idea what went wrong? >
> I'm reading the Rute manual (nice - really user
> friendly!), and the 'howtos', and have a copy of
> linux in a nutshell to hand, but still feel in the
> dark here. Good challenge though! I've tried
> Suse before, and although it was pretty and
> everything 'just worked', I learned very little as
> it was all auto-configure and gui driven. I chose
> BL mainly as a learning tool to get to know the
> nuts & bolts of linux from a more basic level.
> Good so far...

Rute is pretty good. Have a look at the Linux cookbook too though. I
think it's an even easier and clearer read.

James