baslinux - [BL] sis900 ethernet card

  • From: "Andy Davice" <Andy_Davice AT easy.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] sis900 ethernet card
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:30:16 +0100

Hi again. I celebrated too soon... :-(

When I used insmod to install the driver, it
seemed to work initially - I got the following
text (btw, is there an easy way to dump screen
contents into a text file or clipboard in linux?
Writing it all out is fiddly):

~<#> insmod sis900.o

Using /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc/sis900.o
PCI: Enabling bus master for device 00:58
SiS900.c : V1.06.03 12/23/99
eth0: SiS900 PCI Fast ethernet at 0x5a00, IRQ O,
00:06:4f:04:b3:bc
eth0: SiS 900 internal M11 PHY Trasceiver found at
address 1
eth0: SiS 900 internal M11 PHY as default

And this looked good. However, when I tried:

~<#> ifconfig eth0 62.254.148.73

the result was:

SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable

I thought that maybe I needed to reboot for the
change to take effect, but when I did so there was
no mention of eth0 in the startup spiel (I used
dmesg to go through it). Looks like it didnt install.

Any idea what went wrong?

I'm reading the Rute manual (nice - really user
friendly!), and the 'howtos', and have a copy of
linux in a nutshell to hand, but still feel in the
dark here. Good challenge though! I've tried
Suse before, and although it was pretty and
everything 'just worked', I learned very little as
it was all auto-configure and gui driven. I chose
BL mainly as a learning tool to get to know the
nuts & bolts of linux from a more basic level.
Good so far...

All the best,
Andy

easy.com
This message was sent from the free private e-mail service by easy.com, the
portal site owned by Stelios and the easyGroup. This email service is
available to all members of the public to use for personal reasons only. Not
all subscribers to this e-mail service are representatives of an easyGroup
company.