baslinux - RE: [BL] Install Baslinux to HD

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [BL] Install Baslinux to HD
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:59:44 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Daryl Brandt wrote:

> I downloaded the scsi.s folder from
> http://ftp.tiscali.de/pub/slackware/slackware-7.1/kernels/scsi.s/ and
> changed the boot.bat to run the "bzimage". You are right when I cd to /cd
> the folder is empty, no slakware directory or subdirectories. What else do
> I need to do?
> TIA
> Daryl
>
> >I suggest you cd to /cd and have a look. Is the slakware
> >directory there? Is the a2 directory in slakware? Is bin.tgz
> >in a2? (The simplest way to do this is: press d and use the
> >arrow keys to navigate around the directory tree).
>
> >I'm guessing that you will find the /cd directory is empty.
> >That means /dev/sda was never mounted (perhaps because you
> >are using a kernel without scsi capability).
>
> Daryl W. Brandt wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to install Baslinux to my HD on a Compaq
> > Prosignia 300 server. It has 64 meg ram and a pentium 90
> > with 2 scsi hard drives and a scsi cdrom.
>
> Have you replaced the BL2 kernel with an appropriate scsi
> kernel from Slackware 7.1?
>
> > The etc/mtab has been set to:
> > /dev/ram0 / ext2 rw 0 0
> > /dev/sda /cd msdos rw 0 0
> > /dev/ram1 /tmp /ext2 rw 0 0
> > /dev/sdb /hd ext2 rw 0 0
>
> I assume you did:
> ------------------
> mount /dev/sda /cd
> mount /dev/sdb /hd
> ------------------
> Did they produce any error messages?

Now wait a minute here. I don't have any very direct experience with
scsi, but I do believe that it's not sufficient to give mount just the
base disk location - ie., /dev/sda. Isn't it like IDE drives, where you
have to specify a partition number? So, shouldn't it be, e.g.,
mount /dev/sda1 /cd
mount /dev/sdb1 /hd
? Note the partition number following the block device: sda1, not sda.
Mightn't that solve the problem, given that Daryl has used the scsi kernel
and should thus otherwise be able to access his scsi drives?

James