baslinux - Re: [BL] Install Baslinux to HD

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Install Baslinux to HD
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:05:09 +1200

James Miller wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Daryl W. Brandt wrote:
>
> > After I boot to Baslinux from Dos and type Install I get
> > a message looking for bin.tgz in /cd/slakware/a2: not found.
>
> Linux, which is case sensitive, may be looking for
> /cd/slakware/a2/bin.tgz
> whereas in your DOS partition the path may be something like
> /cd/slakware/A2/BIN.TGZ

Good point James. I'm not exactly sure why that happens (but it
does happen to some people). I think it is a Windows (VFAT) issue.
I use a traditional DOS (FAT) partition and never see that problem.

> If there is a problem with naming and/or case, renaming under
> Linux - e.g.,
> ---------------------------------------
> cd /cd/slakware
> mv A2 a2
> etc. - should take care of it.

Or, you could write a simple script to rewrite an entire directory
tree from upper case to lower case. Something like this:
for i in `find`; do
mv $i `echo $i | tr ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz`
done
The above script will complain (when the filename has no upper case
characters to change) that the new name is the same as the old name.
You could screen that out by adding a few more lines to the script.