baslinux - Re: [BL] Office Suite

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Office Suite
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:24:10 +1200

Matt Smed wrote:

> I have not tried Siag Office, but I am curious at what
> (if any) office suite people would recommend for BL users?

For the Wordprocessor, I recommend AbiWord.

> I currently have AbiWord and XSpread working on my
> (486 8mb ram) laptop, but, although Abiword is easy
> to use, I cannot figure out Xspread.

If you installed the xspread package from Slackware, it
should have have put documentation (including a tutorial)
in /usr/doc/xspread.

If xspread is slow on your 486, I suggest you try sc
(/slakware/ap1/sc.tgz). It is a CLI spreadsheet (but
you can run it from an xterm if you wish).

> It would also be nice to have a lightweight X based email
> client for BL2.1 as well.

Sylpheed is the email client I use on BL2. It works fine.
I'm using version 0.8.11 which (I think) I got from one
of the sites listed on the "Where do I get add-ons" page.

> I cannot get Sylpheed to install for some reason,

The package I used needed to be installed with installpkg
(or pkgtool). Also, it needs the GTK libraries (they are
in /slakware/gtk1/gtkglib.tgz).

> I am also thinking of upgrading my ram to 20MB from 8MB
> -- will this make X run a lot faster?

Yes.