baslinux - RE: [BL] Office Suite

  • From: "Matt Smed" <smedboy AT telus.net>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [BL] Office Suite
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:36:40 -0700

Hello Everyone,

Regarding office suites...

I have not tried Siag Office, but I am curious at what (if any) office
suite people would recommend for BL users?

I currently have AbiWord and XSpread working on my (486 8mb ram) laptop,
but, although Abiword is easy to use, I cannot figure out Xspread. It
would also be nice to have a lightweight X based email client for BL2.1
as well. I cannot get Sylpheed to install for some reason, either.

Should I just stick with the non-X applications? In time, I could
probably figure out how to use the included "mail" and "links" programs,
and most X applications are slower on my machine anyways (although
"dillo" is fast).

What would anyone recommend? I am also thinking of upgrading my ram to
20MB from 8MB -- will this make X run a lot faster?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Matt