baslinux - [BL] slow communication with modem

  • From: "Andy Jako" <a_jako AT operamail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] slow communication with modem
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 06:05:02 +0100

Continuing my topic from 17 of August.
Here is like my ISP logon procedure looks:

CONNECT 115200
Welcome to Globe Net
In case of any problems, please call our customer support 5555-4444
User Access Verification
login:
Password:
2) UUCP shell
3) SLIP shell
5) PPP shell
8) Change password
shell:

Here is my eznet.conf:

0 expect0 ogin:
0 expect1 assword:
0 expect2 ell:
0 phone p******
0 reply0 ******
0 reply1 ******
0 reply2 5
0 service GlobeNet
0 tty /dev/ttyS2

please note 'p' before phone number as I use pulse dialing.

Below is log:

The UNIX command used to initiate the connection attempt was:

/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS2 115200 connect '/usr/bin/eznet chat 0' defaultroute
lock modem mtu 552 mru 552 debug crtscts -detach idle 300 user anonymous
remotename GlobeNet

The interaction with the modem was as follows:

48:53.090 Send: "atz\r"
49:12.670 Recv: "atz\r"
49:22.130 Skip: "\r\n"
49:22.680 Recv: "OK\r\n"
49:22.680 Send: "at&d3\r"
49:52.710 Recv: "at&d3\r"
50:02.170 Skip: "\r\n"
50:02.720 Recv: "OK\r\n"
50:02.720 Send: "atdp******\r"
50:22.740 Recv: "atdp******\r"
50:42.100 Skip: "\r\n"
50:42.650 Recv: "CONNECT 115200"
50:42.650 Match: "CONNECT"
50:46.060 Recv: "CONNECT 115200"
50:46.060 Send: "\r"
50:50.020 Recv: "CONNECT 115200"
50:50.020 Send: "\r"
50:52.660 Recv: "CONNECT 115200\r\n"
50:52.660 Match: "CONNECT"
50:56.070 Send: "\r"
51:00.030 Send: "\r"
51:02.120 Skip: "\r\n"
51:02.670 Recv: "Welcome to Glo"
51:06.080 Recv: "Welcome to Glo"
51:06.080 Send: "\r"
51:10.040 Recv: "Welcome to Glo"
51:10.040 Send: "\r"
51:12.130 Skip: "Welcome to Globe Net\r\n"
51:12.680 Recv: "In case "
51:16.090 Recv: "In case "
51:16.090 Fail

Please note time lapse between command sent to modem and response back.

Here is small part of bootup log to understand my configuration:

Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
Serial driver version 4.27 with HUB-6 MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
ttyS02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
pty: 512 Unix98 ptys configured

When I tried in few minutes later to establish next connection with lower
speed 57600 the result was even worse - seems like the end of this session
was mixed there too? But this is other story.
At the moment for me is interesting why my modem, works fine with other OS
(including RedHat Linux) needs 29 seconds to responde to simple atz command
under BLinux?

Thanks,
Andrew

http://www.operamail.com
Get OperaMail Premium today - USD 29.99/year