baslinux - [BL] nitfol for BL2

  • From: "Peter Expolio" <info.wetware AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] nitfol for BL2
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:20:59 -0400

For those interested in text-adventure (interactive fiction) games,
I've tried out the nitfol z-file interpreter, and it works fine
with BL2. It has three modes: cheapnitfol for debugging, nitfol
for bash, and termnitfol and xnitfol. Only xnitfol requires some
additional libraries, but you can always use termnitfol from an xterm.

The binaries are here:
http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-archive/infocom/interpreters/nitfol/nitfol-0.5_linux.tgz

But do try other stuff (source, etc.) in the nitfol folder there:

http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-archive/infocom/interpreters/nitfol/

Since the nitfol interface is not exactly user-friendly, you can
try and add the z-file association in links (go to the setup menu),
and then associate these files (.z1-.z8) to termnitfol. This way
you can simply browse through the files in links and start playing
any one you choose with termnitfol.

Other interpreters (xfrots, zip, zeal, etc.) for Linux are also
available in the IFarchive, although I haven't tried them yet. I'm
running BL2 on a cranked-out 486DX with 16 RAM, and Im generally
new to Linux, although already a bit of an addict. The thing is,
I havenĀ“t actually gone around to installing the c libraries, so
I can't compile most of the .tar.gz packages. This is mainly due
to my slow modem and a faulty CD-ROM. But that will be sorted soon.

Best,

Kamen

  • [BL] nitfol for BL2, Peter Expolio, 07/22/2003