baslinux - Re: [BL] nitfol for BL2

  • From: "Peter Expolio" <info.wetware AT lycos.com>
  • To: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • Cc: BLinux <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] nitfol for BL2
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:18:15 -0400

You'd be surprised how many of these old text adventures are either A) still
available as executables, either standalone or for emulators, or B) like in
this case, being ported to new platforms.

Still, it's funny to what extent the old classics (Adventure, Zork, most of
the Infocom games), are still the best...

Best,

Kamen

>> The game has many sweet classic text adventure references
>
>In some respects it is a classic text adventure. I wrote it
>originally over 20 years ago (in BASIC) for the Commodore PET.
>A friend of mine subsequently did a version for the VIC20 and
>later I did a version of the Commodore 64 (along with Tunnelmaze
>and Valleymaze -- one down the Great South Road and the other
>down the Great East Road).
>
>Castlemaze was included in a book of BASIC Adventures published
>in Britain (by Pete Gerrard, or somebody similar). Versions for
>the BBC and Sinclair Spectrum (I think) were made from the listing
>in that book. If you do a google search for Castlemaze, you'll
>find some references.
>
>Anyway, about 18 months ago, I got into a discussion on the merits
>of BASH versus BASIC. I suggested that just about anything you
>could do in BASIC, you could do in BASH. Others disagreed. So
>to prove my point, I took my old BASIC adventure and converted it
>to BASH. It took about a month to translate the spaghetti BASIC
>code. BTW, I improved Castlemaze as I translated it -- so the
>old walk-throughs you'll find on the internet won't work.
>
>Cheers,
>Steven

  • [BL] nitfol for BL2, Peter Expolio, 07/22/2003
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [BL] nitfol for BL2, Peter Expolio, 07/28/2003