baslinux - Re: [BL] xterm problem on new BL2 install

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xterm problem on new BL2 install
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 06:55:04 +1200

James Miller wrote:

> I recently installed BL2 on an old notebook I had laying around.
> I've installed X and it seems to be working ok
> the problem I'm confronting now is that, with X running, I can't
> open any xterm. When I try to, there is simply no response from
> the machine: no windows open, and no error is reported under X.

How are you trying to open an xterm? From the icewm menu?
If so, click on ControlPanel->EditMenu and have a look at
the first entry (the one for xterm). Try removing the
parameters. All you really need for that line is:
prog xterm xterm xterm

> Anyone have an idea what could be causing this problem

How much RAM on that machine?

> and how to resolve it so that I can, finally, open xterms
> under X?

If nothing else works, try putting an xterm in ~/.xinitrc