baslinux - [BL] ssh problems

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] ssh problems
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 18:07:52 -0500 (CDT)

I don't know if I can expect to get any help with ssh from Basiclinux
users here, but at least I can find out if anyone else is having the same
sorts of problems. I unistalled the ssl/ssh I found at Delilinux, and
installed the one Steven has posted at the Russian site where some BL2
add-ons are. Well, I cannot authenticate with it at my ISP's server
(where I can login and use Pine). The connection is terminated almost
immediately. I did ssh -v myisp.via.net -l myuname, which gave some
output. It seemed to accept username, but somehow mysteriously
disconnected before asking for the password. If posting that output would
help anyone understand better what the problem could be, I can post it
later: but there's not much to go on there. From another machine on my
network, I can ssh to that address and login just fine, so it seems to be
specific to the BL2 machine and its ssh installation. Moreover, I can
succesfully ssh to other addresses from the BL2 machine (e.g.,
sdf.lonestar.org). Also, using the Delilinux version of ssh and openssl,
I did manage to successfully login to the acct I'm now having problems
with using the BL2 machine, though it complained about not being able to
validate the public key. Any help on this, anyone? Shall I just go back
to the Delilinux version, since it seems to work?

Thanks, James