baslinux - Re: [BL] Which modules do you need?

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Which modules do you need?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 05:21:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> > I think I'll abandon those Intel clone cards that
> > take the eepro
>
> One of my systems has an onboard NIC that uses the
> eepro100, so I'm leaning toward including it.

Just a clarification: we're talking about 2 separate modlues here, with
very similar names. Moreover, they are both for Intel chips. But they
are *not* interchangeable. In the world of NIC cards (as opposed to
onboard chips), the eepro100 is used for the PCI NIC with the 82557 (and
82555?) chip. The eepro (without the "100" appended) is used for the ISA
NIC with the 82595 chip. It is the ISA card with the 82595 chip that
takes the eepro (no "100") module that I've had all my problems. So far,
the eepro100 has worked without much difficulty for the PCI cards with the
82557 chip. I should qualify that latter statement by noting that my
network traffic is pretty light, and the posts from the lists complaining
about the eepro100 module's bugginess seemed to refer to heavy network
traffic situations. Were I to perhaps use my network more intensively, I
suppose I might experience problems with that module similar to those
complained of. But for the little I've used it (for remote xsessions and
a few nfs tranfers) it seems to have worked fine. So, if you include both
the eepro100 *and* the eepro (no "100") with BL, so far as I'm concerned
you may drop the latter. I think I'll throw in the towel on those ISA
cards with the 82595 chip that take the eepro module.

James