baslinux - [BL] isapnp tools for BL?

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] isapnp tools for BL?
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 09:53:00 -0500 (CDT)

While trying to get an older ISA NIC working with BL recently, I did some
reading up on isapnp tools, thinking it might help. I'm not sure it would
be of much use in resolving the particular problem I was having (so far as
I can tell that is related to a buggy module), but seemed like it might be
a useful thing for BL users in general, since many BL'ers will be using
older systems with ISA slots only. Isapnp seems to offer a form of
software configuration for ISA cards, which was, apparently, the way the
computer industry was moving (and away from physical jumpering) right
before the PCI standard was developed. The card I was trying to
configure had no physical jumpers, but was configurable (varying
IO's/IRQ's) using a DOS utility. Seems like isapnp tools might have
allowed me to make those configurations under Linux. I likewise have some
older smc-ultra cards with jumpers for a couple sets of IO/IRQ settings,
but also a setting for "software configuration." So, I'm just wondering;
have you looked into isapnp tools, Steven? Would it be a useful thing to
have installed on a BL system? Would you recommend for or against using
it?

James