baslinux - Re: [BL] isapnp tools for BL?

  • From: "Krzysztof A. Suchecki" <christopher.suchecki AT wp.pl>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] isapnp tools for BL?
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 17:49:59 +0200

James Miller wrote:

> but also a setting for "software configuration." So, I'm just wondering;
> have you looked into isapnp tools, Steven? Would it be a useful
> thing to have installed on a BL system? Would you recommend
> for or against using it?

I am using SMC EZ-Ethernet. It's smc-ultra compatible PnP combo
card (coax, TP). There are no jumpers and you have to use SMC own
program running under DOS if you want to change actual settings.
Only change - you don't have to do it after every boot, because
settings are stored in some kind of flash-rom.

I haven't worked with isaPNP too long because I found way to switch
off PnP mode for my NIC :), but my feelings are not good.
Either isaPNP version was too old or I oversighted sth in docs,
but I couldn't force it to set IO/IRQ properly for one of my PCs.
Although this PC is rather overloaded - imagine:

1. PCI mainboard with AGP and some ISA slots.
2. PCI 56kb modem
3. ISA 56kb modem
4. ISA NIC
5. PCI soundcard

I have to switched off COMs to have enough IRQs.

I personally recommend for systems using ISA cards:
(either by old hard-hand way or newer software way)

1. if a card has PnP support, switch it off.
2. set IRQ and IO to values that will work in your system
(try, try ... and try - it should work at last).

Maybe I am too conservative.

Chris