baslinux - Re: [BL] Swapon

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Swapon
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 14:39:37 -0500 (CDT)

Russ:

>From the command line, type "pico /etc/fstab." That will open and editor
that shows you the contents of your /etc/fstab file. If you don't have
and entry like

/dev/hdxx swap swap defaults 0 0

then add one. In the entry the first "x" in "/dev/hdxx" gets replaced by
the letter of the drive the swap partition is on ("a" for the first drive,
"b" for the second and so forth). The second "x" gets replaced by the
number of the partition on that drive that the swap partition is on (1-3
for primary partitions, 5 and up for logical partitions). Again, I'm
assuming you have an IDE hard drive, not a scsi. If you have scsi, the
same comments apply, but the "h" in "hdxx" gets replaced by an "s"
(/dev/sdxx). Once you have such an entry, the swap partition (if it's
been formatted with mke2fs) should initialize and be available on bootup.

James